Form Filler Volunteer Position
Why Volunteer with Citizens Advice?
Citizens Advice is the largest advice provider in the UK. By joining us you become part of a highly respected advice network dedicated to working to improve the lives of people in our community.
Citizens Advice East Berkshire has a long and successful local history; with over 140 years’ experience between our offices, providing a service for around 7,000 local residents, and resolving over 35,000 issues every year. We are looking for a passionate and energetic individual to join us as a Form Filler Volunteer.
Location: Citizens Advice East Berkshire offices with hybrid work from home option.
Hours: Ideally we ask for 6-12 hours per week, which can be over one day or spread over two days, for at least 6 months. We can be flexible so come and talk to us.
What you will do:
● Complete an introduction to Citizens Advice and training for your role.
● Focus on supporting clients to fill in disability forms by enabling them to properly explain how their disability or illness affects them day-to-day.
● In practice, this will entail the completion of paper and online disability forms with clients, for example PIP, DLA, AA, UC50 to apply for a benefit.
● Write a limited summary of the clients’ problems and what action you’ve taken.
● Look out for problems that are common, or are unfair, and write a short report about the problem or a letter to an elected official like an MP, AM or local
councillor in discussion with the supervisor.
What do you need to have?
Full training will be given, so you don’t need specific qualifications or skills but you’ll
● Be friendly and approachable.
● Be non-judgmental and respect views, values and cultures that are different to your own.
● Have good listening skills.
● Have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Have good IT skills.
● Be able to understand information and summarise it.
● Be willing to learn about and follow the Citizens Advice aims, principles and policies, including confidentiality and data protection.
● Be willing to undertake training in your role.
We welcome diversity both in our people and our thinking.
You must be eligible to work in the UK and a basic DBS check is required for this role.
Read the full job description here.
If you would like to find out more about any of our volunteering roles, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.